Friday, November 12, 2004

What goes around...

Whilst in the local Asda the other night I happened to see a girl I last saw when at school. The kind of person you see every day of your life for 5 years then forget about them forever until something reminds you.

Back then she was the school darling, an absolute stunner - to a testosterone fuelled teenager anyway. The girl that every boy fancied and fantasised over. Is 'fancy' a word that you stop using at school too?

I asked her to go ice skating with me once. It was the most romantic thing I could think of back then. She should have been thankful - it's more than CJ gets. It took me ages to pluck up the courage and she replied by saying that she was babysitting. Even back then I knew what a soft rejection was.

Humiliated, I never asked again. Everybody knew about it.

She's let herself go a little bit since back then. Haggard, pale and drawn, she was in the middle of an argument with her bulldog of a partner and a herd of screaming, crying kids running all around her.

I felt better.

I really should have got over it by now.
|