Tuesday, February 08, 2005

Round the bend

I'm not religious and I don't believe in fate or psychics. Fortune tellers, palm readers and their like are all a bag of wind.

I'm very much of the opinion that life is here, now and all around you - there's nothing else, so get on with it.

That's all very well.

This cynical side to me doesn't fit well at all with my superstitious tendencies.

I don't mean the ladder or black cats kind of thing. That would be normal - or as much as walking into the path of oncoming traffic to avoid walking under a ladder is. I mean stupid superstitions - you know, the kind of things you would laugh at if reading on the internet about some Northern weirdo doing them.

As most football playing blokes have, I've been through stages in my life where I would wear lucky pants when playing or watching football.

Being me - I just took it further.

When playing football I would put my kit on in a particular order before walking out of the changing room putting my shirt on. I then went through a stage where I considered it unlucky to touch the football before the match had started - I'd be away in a corner of the pitch on my own warming up with various team mates firing balls at me in an attempt to get me to touch them, or a least trick me into kicking it back.

Many of my team mates said they couldn't tell the difference after the game had started though.

The most disturbing part of this sorry episode is when I then went through a stage, that I call my nutter stage, where I tried wherever possible to use the last but 1 cubicle from the right whenever going to the toilet.

God knows why.

What did I think was going to happen if I didn't do all these things? That the clouds would part and I would be struck by lightning?

Am I weird?
|