Wednesday, August 25, 2004

Decathlonitis

I seemed to have developed dumpy fingers, or at least that's what I've been told. I may have had them all my life but it's not the kind of thing you admit to yourself. Im not sure when exactly it happened or whether it took place over a period of time, but I've discovered that I appear to have chipolatas where my fingers used to be.

I hadnt really noticed until Watski Jnr brought it to my attention, now its become a source of amusement to him and he never misses a chance to remind me. Git.

After much head scratching I think Ive traced the cause. And I'd like to bring this condition to the attention of the world and help to find a cure before its too late for any other sufferers out there. I would guess there may be a few like me.

Its what's known as 'Decathlonitis': which is the latin for playing too much Daley Thompsons Decathlon on Spectrum 48k as a youngster.

I knew that those teenage days on the computer would come back to haunt me at some time, all that pummelling with the fingers on this game as a teenager definitely had the potential to cause long term damage. Now it's realised itself and ended up restricting the growth of my fingers, and what have I gained out of it? The 100 metre world record in 1987. Oh yes. Why didn't I listen?

I wonder if the manufacturers are liable. There's blame so there might well be a claim coming EA Sports' way or whoever it was.

So any 80's kids out there. Keep an eye on your fingers.

And if you do get ridiculed for it then be comforted in the knowledge that at least you were better at Daley Thompsons Decathlon than them.
|